Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Laundry

(There is no episode of the serial this week. As an apology I offer you a recently written poem that will perhaps give you some idea of the whirlwind that is my life.)


The Laundry

The perfect lines for a poem
Around my head do run
I can’t stop to write them down, you see,
The laundry has to be done

It’s the middle of the night –
Just gone half past one –
I leave my deadlines unmet
The laundry has to be hung.

The rains used to lift my spirits
But tonight I nearly cried –
What good monsoon magic to me
When the laundry has to be dried?

I pack the school tiffin –
While my little son gets dressed –
Slapping a sandwich together I shriek
The laundry has to be pressed!

Clothes ruling a woman’s life
Should pose no such quandary
But fashion is last on my mind
When confronted by our laundry!

Updated on 12 May 2021 to add this poem I found on Twitter today: